The world of financial planning has changed significantly, attracting a new generation of people who are beginning their journey along these paths.
As this profession evolves, the coming together of academia and industry becomes more critical than ever.
In this episode, Jamie Hopkins and Ana Trujillo Limón speak with Dr. Martin Seay, Ph.D., CFP®, Department Head and Professor of Personal Financial Planning at Kansas State University.
Together, they explore the evolution of financial planning and share valuable insights and experiences, highlighting the importance of supporting students from all walks of life and creating a clear career trajectory to succeed as a certified financial planner.
Dr. Seay discusses:
- The evolution of the financial planning profession and how it is attracting younger individuals into the field
- How financial planning has become a priority for firms and the increase in job opportunities for graduates
- Organizations like the FinServ Foundation and the CFP Board that are working to create opportunities for engagement between schools and firms
- The high burnout rates among financial advisors and the impact on the profession
- The efforts to increase awareness and interest in the financial planning profession for high school students and parents
- The high retention rates among Certified Financial Planners (CFPs) and the importance of firms supporting students in obtaining their CFP certification
- The challenges in supporting advisors to reach higher levels of success and the need for intentional structures and support
- And more!
Connect with Jamie Hopkins and Ana Trujillo Limón:
Connect with Martin Seay:
About our Guest:
Martin Seay, Ph.D., CFP®, is a Professor and Department Head of Personal Financial Planning at Kansas State University, where he oversees the CFP Board registered undergraduate, graduate certificate, M.S., and Ph.D. programs. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of the CFP Board of Standards, which is charged with overseeing the CFP® marks. He previously served as national president of the Financial Planning Association® (FPA®) in 2020, the largest membership organization for CFP® professionals in the country.
Dr. Seay’s research focuses on borrowing decisions, how psychological characteristics shape financial behavior, and methodology in financial planning research. His work has been published in the Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, Financial Services Review, Journal of Consumer Affairs, Journal of Financial Services Professionals, Journal of Financial Planning, and Journal of Financial Therapy among others.
His research has been recognized by the 2014, 2017, and 2019 FPA Annual Conference Best Applied Research Paper Awards, the 2016 CFP Board of Standards’ ACCI Financial Planning Award, and the 2016 Montgomery-Warschauer Award, which is awarded by the Journal of Financial Planning for the paper that provided the most outstanding contribution to the betterment of the profession in the previous year. He was recognized with the Distinguished Financial Planning Alumnus Award by the University of Georgia in 2021 and selected as a member of the 2020 InvestmentNews 40 Under 40 class.
Carson Group is committed to advancing financial literacy. Our coaches work with thousands of FPA members. Schedule a consultation to learn how Carson can help you help your clients and grow your business.