This week, Jamie Hopkins talks with legendary coach Bob Bowman. Bob is the current head coach of the Arizona State University swim team and the head coach for the U.S. Olympic team.
Growing up in Columbia, South Carolina, Bob started swimming competitively around age 11 and it took him to Florida State University. After his junior year, he felt that his personal swimming career was probably coming to an end, so he transitioned to coaching.
Bob’s coaching career has spanned multiple jobs and locations, including coaching Michael Phelps and the U.S. Olympic team. So he knows something about success.
Swimming is much like being a business owner. You don’t get time off, you bear much of the weight individually, and progress is a long-term, incremental process.
Many of the principals and strategies that have made Bob a successful coach translate directly to the work of advisors and managing a firm.
In this episode, we talk about focusing on the process instead of outcomes, consistency and how sports might be affected long-term by COVID-19. We also talk about his time at the Olympics and his favorite South Carolina grits.
“Confidence comes from demonstrated ability. If you do something one time successfully, you may feel pretty good about it and have a little bit of confidence. But that doesn’t make it repeatable. If you can do it a hundred or a thousand times, then you’re more likely to have a predictable result.” ~ @Coach_Bowman
- Consistency is critical no matter what you’re doing. Whether you’re an athlete or a business owner; consistency is what makes you better and sets you apart from others.
- Good decisions day in, day out, are what add up to long-term success.
- Your strategy should be based on what you can control and not what you can’t control or what other people do around you. When people are largely focused on an outcome only, it tends to raise your anxiety levels and can lead to poor performances.
Links and Important Mentions
- Follow Bob Bowman on Twitter
- Michael Phelps Foundation
- The Reformed Sports Parent
- Nick Buonocore Podcast Interview
- Anson Mills
Get Your Free Blueprinting Guide
The first step to setting up the framework of your business is to have the right blueprint. But knowing what goes into that blueprint is half of the battle. We put together a free resource that you can use to set your firm down the right path.
Go to CarsonGroupCoaching.com to get your free blueprinting guide.
Subscribe and Stay in Touch
Bob Bown is not an affiliate of Carson Partners or CWM, LLC. Opinions expressed by Mr. Bowman during the Framework podcast may not be representative of Carson Partners or CWM, LLC.