In today’s episode of Framework, Jamie talks with Dr. Daralee Barbera, the President of Diversified Professional Coaching, LLC.
Dr. Daralee Barbera is a professor, a professional business coach, and a consultant. Daralee began her career as a teacher and never thought she’d enter the finance world. While practicing teaching, she explored and did financial planning on the side—this signaled a career shift. Clients were piling up quickly and she made the shift to full-time financial planner.
Understanding financial planning gave her a greater purpose: to help others. After finishing her doctorate, Dr. Barbara wrote books on the topics most interesting to her and managed various professional organizations. Currently, she leads her own company and continues to advocate for financial education and gender diversity in financial services.
Dr. Barbara talks to Jamie about the access points of financial literacy and the importance of gender diversity in the finance industry.
“Financial Planning is important education. This is critical knowledge. If you have your finances together, you’ve got choices, you understand where you are, you understand where you’re going, and you have a plan to get there. Life doesn’t get better than that.” ~ Dr. Daralee Barbera
- Say no to the traditional style of schooling. Find ways to collaborate and network with others outside of the classroom and find real-world ways to practice your skills and knowledge.
- Trust the process. The education system teaches you to make the best out of limited resources (e.g., time, funding, etc.) and it can sometimes take time to see the full impact of those lessons in your daily life.
- Financial education is immensely important. Financial management is fundamental in everyone’s life and should be taught by educators.
- The current role of a financial advisor is critical now more than ever. Financial advisors need to give in-depth insights to improve their client’s state of financial literacy.
Links and Important Mentions
- Dr. Daralee Barbera on LinkedIn
- Diversified Professional Coaching, LLC
- What You Can Do When You Can’t by Carolyn Joyce and Daralee Barbera
- Women Matter: The Why and How of Gender Diversity in Financial Services by Daralee Barbera
Transform the Way You Grow Your Firm at Excell 2021
Whether you’re just starting in the industry or you manage a billion-dollar firm, Excell 2021 is for you. As one of the largest conferences in the industry, we have a full slate of development opportunities for you and your entire team. Hear from Carson Founder and CEO Ron Carson, best-selling author John DiJulius, Nerd’s Eye View’s Michael Kitces, Framework Host Jamie Hopkins, and plenty more.
Join us October 12-14, 2021, in Las Vegas, or register for our digital-only conference. Register today at https://excellconference.com.